Sunday, July 15, 2012

The adventure continues...

The week of "lasts" has arrived. And not with much welcome, too. But God has a perfect plan, and for me it only calls for one more week in Athens, at least in this time of my life.

The goodbyes have started already. In the last week, I've had to say goodbye to four coworkers, four people that I miss already. Today I said goodbye to some friends we have made in this time. But truly, the worst goodbyes are to come.

This past week has been challenging and life-giving and I am reminded of my need for reflection. The challenges have been mainly within myself-- finding that I fear leaving this place, that I fall short in my patience and willingness to truly put others before myself, that I still choose fear over faith sometimes. The time for reflection will come. But how can I possibly process the life I've been living and the life that I want to continue living in a week, when I'm back at home? I cannot believe that there is only one week left.

In this post, however, I want to focus on the life-giving. Friday, Christy, one of the staff members here, asked if I would like to visit a family whose daughters I have gotten close to. This is something I've been looking forward to; the oldest daughter asked me weeks ago, "You, me, house." Finally I could make her wish come true!

Having visitors in the Persian culture is a thing of honor. Especially for new visitors, the family will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying your time. This family (the "M" family) shares an apartment with another refugee family, as is typical here. When I say their home, I am referring to one room that should feel like a very efficient room. It serves as the dining room, living room, and about four bedrooms. I remember being grateful for the worn yellow and blue Persian rug in the room; it made it feel lighter and a little larger. They share a bathroom and refrigerator-less kitchen with the other family. The lack of refrigerator makes it hard to keep food, especially leftovers if/when they are able to cook. It also means no ice or cold drinks in this unrelenting heat. The Ms do have a sort of foyer/storage room that is defined by a few shelves that hold precious few belongings, a broken fridge that serves as the only place to keep clothes, and a hanging blanket that defines the M's space from the other family's.

Christy and I were given seats on the thicker of the two mattresses, and pillow for our backs. The one fan was always pointed in our directions, also. A Hindi movie was put in for our enjoyment, although we didn't watch much of it. The family members sat around us (the girls) or on the floor (the parents and older son). Christy and I had brought some Barbies that the ARC had in storage, and I was confused as to why the girls didn't rip into the boxes to start playing with them. After seeing them placed on one of their few shelves, I realized these would become prized possessions, one of the few toys they have.

We were served cold juice and cookies right away. Our glasses were the only ones to have ice. After an hour or so, we were served lunch. We were asked to sit in the most honorable seats-- those far from the door. Our plates of rice had considerably more raisins and carrots than the others, and we were given a whole plate of chicken and fries to share among the two of us, while the six family members shared the same amount. They kept serving us food, even after we were full, and then tea, candy, and watermelon afterwards!

The whole visit I was honored by their hospitality and the clear lengths that N, the mother, went to for my comfort. The children and I played cards together, tossed a ball around, played games, and I spent the last part of the visit drawing them. They are very willing to sit for five minutes while I drew really really rough sketches of them! (I made sure to label which drawing was whom because otherwise, they wouldn't be able to tell!)

Through Christy's translating, I was able to learn more about their lives. They came from Iran about a year ago, the children not fully understanding why they had to leave the perfectly okay life they were leading there. It is clear from the photos they showed us that they lived comfortably there and the kids were able to go to school. Here the children take Greek and English lessons and don't have reasonable space to play. Throughout the hours that we spent there, I knew that I was digging myself deeper. This family is trying to leave Athens, I'm sure (most refugees don't divulge details of plans), so I know that even if I come back to Athens someday that this family may not be here. Who knows if and how they will leave? It is scary to think about what may happen.

The four daughters are so spirited, strong-willed, and full of life. They insist on painting your nails and then playing volleyball. They love being tickled and dancing together and sitting in my lap. They shower my cheeks with kisses and my neck with their embraces for several minutes before we ever actually depart. And they have officially made this last week harder because of their love and loyalty and life.

Please pray for the M family. For God's providence in their lives, for their hearts to be opened to the Spirit, for their love for others and each other to stay strong. Please pray that the relationships they are making with believers will grow stronger and deeper and are filled with trust. Please pray for their safety and health. And again I ask you to pray for their hearts to be opened to Christ. I pray that when I get to heaven, I will see their faces and will feel their kisses and embraces once more.

As this week rounds out, please keep Lindsey and I in mind and prayers as we start the process of goodbye. Other prayer requests:
-Team visas-- visas to Greece are becoming increasingly difficult. Please pray that paperwork will go through and that God's will will be acknowledged one way or the other.
- Love, patience, and hospitality in each person that works with Helping Hands-- may others see Christ in us.
- For Greece, and the increasing amount of stress here
- For the ability to think through the dwindling time here and for our re-entry into the States
- For other SOSers who are facing the same emotions in settings all over the globe

This week I thank God for my friends, as you can read in a previous post. I thank God for his grace when I choose fear over faith. Mostly, though, I thank God for the Trinity. His Son and the Spirit which bring hope, peace, love, strength, and goodness. I hope that you may feel overwhelmed by his love and that you may find peace and rest this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment