Saturday, July 7, 2012

courage

It has been a while since posting... I feel like Lindsey and I have been so busy they past couple of weeks! Lately we have been invited to several staff members' homes for a meal and fellowship, and I am so grateful for the hospitality shown to us.

This past Monday, a team member took us to ancient Corinth to see the ruins and hear about the history (this man is like an encyclopedia!). That night I became really convicted about how much I don't know about my own faith and its history. Working with people from the Islamic culture and learning a little about the Jewish culture, I realize how Christianity in general doesn't permeate our lifestyles in ways that truly make us uncommon for Christ.

At Corinth we hiked up the old citadel to an old temple-- it was a temple that housed many prostitutes and now stands as old stones overtaken by grass. The journey, though, was very similar to one that Jesus would take up a mountainside when he spent time in solitude.  Here is an excerpt from my journal that evening:

Hearing of all the persecution Paul went through, one realizes that this man was crazy for Christ: he was in love, devoted (set apart) because he followed his Rabbi's footsteps so closely, fulfilling the Rabbi's two main purposes. Learn and become like Jesus (our teacher), and go out to make more disciples.


Isn't that what I should be doing? ...following Christ's teachings so closely that it would be a challenge to NOT follow his footsteps...I eagerly expect and hope and pray that Christ will give me sufficient courage to exalt him. Isn't it odd that I have to ask for his help to do his work? Yet it is a trade I want to learn... I should be tripping on the heels of Jesus, yearning to see as he sees, think as he thinks, feel as he does, to act and speak like Jesus. 

As I hear and learn more about the boldness of some of the refugees, especially the women, I realize that I am witnessing the transformations that the Helping Hands staff works towards. It is amazing to see the crazy ways that the Spirit has been providing for people. For example, today I was thankful for smart phones and Skype. Working in the children's room, I noticed a gruff-looking man with a headset holding a phone up to one of the children (who lives in a park). During investigation, I learned that this man was using Skype on his phone to show the child's mother what her son was doing, to see his face, and to hear his voice. She lives in Germany now.

This next week I am looking forward to some great fellowship- with teammates and with friends we have made along the way here! Lindsey and I have been able to get a bit of the Greek culture thanks to a Greek couple on the team. We may be able to spend a day at the beach with some of the women and children from the ministry. Also, I think we are going to see the Acropolis with a fellow intern, Kelsey.

Here are some things to keep in your prayers:
- For humility, peace, and reconciliation
- For boldness to not run from God's voice
- For Greece
- For continued boldness and strength for our Persian friends who are seeking or are believers
- For the team's Sabbath- may it be all that God intended!
- For "R"-- please pray for this young boy!

Here are a couple of praises that are too good to keep inside:
- A young mother who just became a believer was getting evicted because of her curiosity with Christianity- another refugee woman has opened up her very small living space to this young mom and her family.
- We have seen a few quick answers to prayer-- including a few days of cooler weather!

I really hope that you feel the love of Christ today. Thank you for reading, for caring, and most of all: for your prayers. I don't know if I can express to you how much those mean to me! Goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment