Monday, July 30, 2012

Love, from Iowa

Every day that I have been home, I have missed the hugs of the kids at the ARC, the greetings with the women, and the fellowship of the Helping Hands crew. But God keeps reassuring me that he has perfect timing, and that I am in Iowa for a reason. 

As I return to my "normal" life and start reflecting on the six weeks I spent with Afghans and Persians, I realize that I didn't know much about these people's lives before they got to Greece. A few of them showed me pictures, I asked a couple of the English speakers, and I heard a few from the team. The people I worked with knew very little about me, besides the couple of family pictures I would bring with me. Yet, we were still able to meet each other and learn to love each other for who we are now, not for our pasts or despite of our pasts. What a beautiful thing! 

I've been reading through my journals from Greece, and I am reminded of the encouragement I found in notes from friends, Bible verses, and in the chaos of Saturday Tea Houses at the ARC. Here is an entry from my first experience with the Tea House. I hope you can get a taste of the craziness that happens at the ARC, yet still sense that Christ is moving in this place.

Between being dragged out into the main room to sit with some girls from camp and trying to fulfill my duties in the kid's room, I felt very loved and in awe of the kingdom work done here. We may just be doing crafts, serving tea, offering a place to hang out, and a Jesus movie, but it's a safe place for these humans (once oppressed, now displaced- in a sense "homeless") to find freedom in Christ. Or at least notice the freedom others have in Christ. I was confused to see a friend leave with her brother and mother, but not her father. Then I was overjoyed to see him come out of the seeker's class! He can learn about Christ here because this is a safe place.

In church yesterday, Pastor Bob read several passages to show that without Christ, any ministry we do on earth is futile. He said (in a nutshell) that "there should be a change, a presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. All the activity in our lives is because of Christ and should be centered around Christ." One of the passages that he read was 1 Peter 4:8-11.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another with out grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.

As I listened to this passage, I immediately thought of the Helping Hands ministry and the love that is shared there. I thought of the hospitality shown to me by the M family in their one room home. I thought of the way people spoke so boldly about Christ to those who could and would reject them. Please continue to pray that the Holy Spirit will be very present in the lives of our friends in Greece, refugee or not. I thank you for your prayers throughout the summer; truly, each  thought and prayer turned into a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment